The Schwan-STABILO group operates world-wide and is wholeheartedly committed to the world of pens and pencils. In 1865 Gustav Schwanhäußer bought a company by the name of Großberger & Kurz. The company he renamed 'Schwan-Bleistift-Fabrik'. A keen interest in innovative products has always been central to the company's culture. Some of the now legendary examples include the first coloured copying pencil, which was introduced to the market in 1875. In the mid-1920s the Schwan pencil factory launched a revolutionary new product, destined to last into the next millennium. The invention of the "STABILO" thin-lead pencil. "STABILO" in particular was therefore responsible for an enormous boost for the Schwan pencil company. Due to the war, however, another 20 years passed before the STABILO name was incorporated into the new "Schwan-STABILO" trademark, 1954. Fifty years years on, STABILO still stands for innovation, quality and internationality in the writing instruments market.